Dr Gillian Quinn is the Director of GRQ Consulting. She has a BSc and a PhD in microbiology and extensive experience in the food industries – both in catering and food processing. Please click on the headings below to learn more about GRQ Consulting’s vast range of experience. If at any time you have questions that are not answered here, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us.
Gillian has extensive experience developing and implementing many Food Safety Programs across the Catering Industry, particularly meeting the requirements for:
- the FSANZ Food Standards Code Standard 3.3.1 – Food Safety Programs for Food Service to Vulnerable Persons (aged care, child care, private hospitals) and also
- The FSANZ Food Standards Code, Food Safety Requirements 3.2.2 and 3.2.3
- general catering, including off site catering, restaurants and large hotels with various internal restaurants, convention facilities and other food outlets.
Food Production & Food Processing
Gillian also has developed and implemented HACCP and ISO 22000:2005 Food Safety Management Systems across a variety of applications in the Food Production and Processing Industry, including Food Packaging.
Teaching & Training
Gillian holds teaching and training qualifications: a Dip. T (TAFE) and a Diploma in Training & Assessment Systems (BSZ 501 98).
In the 1980s, Gillian gained ten years’ experience teaching and training at the College of Tourism and Hospitality, now part of Southbank Institute of TAFE. She taught food safety and food science to hospitality and catering students, including professional and institutional catering, at Certificate and Diploma level. She also taught a variety of professional groups – apprentice chefs, bakers and pastrycooks, and butchers.
In the early 90s she introduced the Certificates in Food Processing into Queensland. She initiated on-site training by TAFE Institutes in the food industry and taught personally at Golden Circle and Cobbity Farm in Traineeship and management courses.
During the 90s, as a TAFE Qld Curriculum Director, Gillian was responsible for the oversight of delivery of the Certificates in Food Processing by the Qld TAFE Institutes across many food businesses. She also managed the development of several of the streams of the National Certificates in Food Processing (eg meat processing, sugar milling) and served on the development committees for many others (eg dairy, flour milling, stock feed milling).
She participated in regular ITAB meetings in the 1990s, including those representing the Food, Meat and Seafood processing Industries.
She has continued to train within Industry, concentrating on the knowledge and skills of staff to implement HACCP or other quality systems effectively.
Regulatory Audit in Queensland
- Gillian is the longest serving Qld Health Approved Food Safety Auditor, auditing Food Safety Programs that are registered with Local Government under the Qld Food Act 2006.
- Gillian has audited food businesses throughout Queensland, including off site caterers, child care centres, nursing homes, retirement villages, restaurants, convention facilities and hotels.
- Gillian audits supportively, ensuring that clients understand the requirements of the FSANZ Food Standards Code 3.2.2 and 3.2.2 and their application to their food business and the importance of the correct and ongoing implementation of the food business’ Food Safety Program.